That’s despite the fact that the strongest user-based case for its use—that accountability will prevent trolls from trolling—has been killed, drowned in a sea of ASCII penises.
How To Wear Eye Makeup: A Primer
1. Apply carefully
2. Absentmindedly swipe it all off one eye 30 minutes into the evening
3. Continue as if nothing has happened, because for all you know, everything’s fine and you look not at all like Two-Face
Weekend Hashtag Project: #WHPnotquitea
Weekend Hashtag Project is a series featuring designated themes & hashtags chosen by Instagram’s Community Team. For a chance to be featured on the Instagram blog, follow @instagram and look for a post announcing the weekend’s project every Friday.
This weekend’s tag was #WHPnotquitea, which asked participants to take photos or videos in the style of their favorite Instagrammers. Can you guess who inspired them? Visit their profiles to see their captions and find out!
Every Monday we feature some of our favorite submissions from the project, but be sure to check out the rest here.
Til the game ends, til the clock stops, my apples are gonna post up on the top spot.
I was just reading the difference bet the 5c and 5s, and the 5s wins hands down… wonder why they even took the time and effort to produce the 5c?
My mom’s unsolicited opinion.
Let’s say you’re a guy who’s just entered the game industry right out of college. People joke about you being all young and fresh-faced, but then after a couple of months they get tired of the joke, or some new blood moves in and you’re not the “young guy” any more.
Now let’s say you’re a woman who’s entered the game industry right out of college. People joke about you being all young and fresh-faced, and after a couple of months they still haven’t tired of the joke, and no other young women have been hired, so you’re still the “young girl.” Oftentimes you’re the only woman in a packed conference room. Oftentimes you’re the only one under 40.
You work hard on several good projects, even though some people tell you or your boss that you’re “unqualified” to work on them because you’re “only 22.” You travel to work with developers. Sometimes when you meet a new colleague and extend your hand to shake theirs, they hug or kiss you instead, after having shaken the hands of your male colleagues.
Years pass. You’re constantly meeting new people and working on new teams. You’re not fresh out of college any more, in fact you’re reviewed well and ranked highly, but you’re still the only young woman in the room, and nobody’s tired of the joke yet. Now, if someone wants you out of their way, they say you’re “unqualified” because you’re “only 24.” Or 25. Or 26. When there’s a decision to be made about who from the company will go visit a developer to discuss a new project, you are told that they really need to send “a guy’s guy… Someone who can hold his liquor, drink a lot with the developers, and earn their trust.” Definitely not you.
So I understand you have no plans tonight and are looking for a way to spend the hours between 6pm and 2am. What you should do is watch this show on Netflix called Top of the Lake, beginning to end, that is honest to G-d the hands-down best thing I have watched this year (NYMag review). I’m not even someone who has the patience to marathon things anymore, but since this is only seven episodes you only have to just-one-more yourself three times before you can start pretty-much-at-the-end-alreadying yourself.
Top X Things Top of the Lake Has Top Going for It:
1) The plot driver is a young girl who is raped, a device I’ve come to tragically enjoy because of the way it surfaces how stupid people are about treating rape as a crime. I heaved a lot of sighs of frustration/recognition/relief. Other, similar, great bodies of work in this vein: Veronica Mars, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
2) Peggy Olson, but the version of Peggy Olson where she gives Don Draper’s new secretary a pretty cold dressing-down in season 2 because she doesn’t lie for him sufficiently. You know that Peggy Olson.
3) It takes place in New Zealand, and every establishing shot is breathtaking. Everything LoTR said about New Zealand was not a lie. (The Mordor part was a lie.)
4) GJ (You’ll understand if you just watch it seriously why are you still here)
Fair warning, almost everyone (except GJ, bless her) has an accent ranging from confounding to inscrutable to my American ears, so just turn on subtitles so you don’t miss anything. Good luck, and I can’t wait to see the excitement and revelation in your tired, hollow, blood-shot eyes tomorrow.
You cannot be a writer and have writing be anything other than the central romance of your life, which is one thing they don’t tell you about being a woman writer: it’s its own flavour of lonely.